A simple way to ensure that you snack only on nutritious stuff is to keep it handy. When hunger strikes you can grab any of these snacks instead of junk foods/ products like biscuits, instant noodles, aerated drinks, restaurant foods etc.
Craving for a specific junk or unhealthy food will be more if it’s easily available to you. Moreover, you will gradually learn that ‘craving’ for food is basically a thought in the mind. You can train yourself to ‘crave’ for healthy (& tasty) foods instead, by simply keeping these foods handy. It will take a few weeks for a new habit to set in, but it surely will.
Here are some of the foods you should keep handy for your scheduled snacking:
- Sprouts (Mung, Channa, Matki etc.) : You can have it by itself or if you also have Green chutney, Tamarind chutney & You can make a chaat out of it anytime you want to.
- Milk or Soy Milk : You can have it by itself or flavour it with cocoa, coffee & a bit of sugar
- Eggs : Egg protein is of the highest biological value & is low on calories too.
- Yoghurt or Yoghurt dip with veggies. You can also make buttermilk out of it. (& occasionally, home-made fresh-fruit yoghurt /smoothie is a good option too)
- Iced green tea : Green tea is packed with antioxidants that help you get a glowing skin & a slim waistline. You could have flavoured ones or plain. Bonus for weight watchers : It is ultra-low on calories & in fact, its absorption uses up calories from the body.
- Almonds & Walnuts : These nuts contain good fats that will help lower LDL levels (also known as ‘bad’ cholesterol) & just a few of them will help you get over a hunger pang.
- Veggies like Carrots, Cucumbers, Lettuce, cabbage, Spinach : Make a stir fry or a salad or have long cut veggies with yoghurt dip. Cucumbers & carrots can be had as a grab-n-go food too.
- Fruits : The perfect food to have on the go. Needless to say, they are packed with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals that make your skin glow & your hair shine.
- Tofu or Paneer : Tofu has protein of a very high biological value & is also very easy to prepare. My personal favourite is Tofu paratha which I like to carry on a long work day.
- Whole wheat bread : Whole grains are a nutritious option compared to refined grains. Make a sandwich anytime with fresh veggies or top with honey or dunk in a cheese slice & enjoy.
Did you find the post useful ? If yes, do share it with others who will benefit from it . 🙂